The Jain Foundation funds research using a non-traditional funding model, including:
- An in-house, full-time scientific team to review proposals and manage funded projects, as opposed to an external scientific advisory committee.
- An interactive project management process, including direct input into the aims and design of each project, and close communication with funded researchers. We require quarterly updates (in the style of lab meetings) conducted by conference call with funded researchers.
- Elimination of roadblocks, arising from lack of research materials, expertise, time, or other obstacles, in all funded projects.
- Active efforts to encourage collaboration among scientists to reduce redundancy.
- Organization of brainstorming sessions at the foundation's annual conferences to discuss new and creative approaches to a cure.
- Generation and distribution of research tools and reagents, including DNA constructs, antibodies, cell lines, and animal models.
- Active efforts to foster exchange of resources between funded laboratories.